Re: [DynInst_API:] libcommon.so -> undefined reference to `cplus_demangle'

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:56:41 -0700
From: Josh Stone <jistone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] libcommon.so -> undefined reference to `cplus_demangle'
For the other option Bill mentioned, set cmake -DUSE_GNU_DEMANGLER=1,
which makes it use abi::__cxa_demangle from libstdc++ instead of
cplus_demangle from libiberty.  I'm not sure of pros/cons either way.

FWIW, I'm not fond of the automatic "download binutils" fallback, nor
for libelf or libdwarf.  If nothing else, it's not a very secure thing
to download code over http:// without the user explicitly asking for
this.  (Our rpm build environment doesn't allow network access anyway.)

Josh

On 03/11/2014 08:05 AM, Jim Galarowicz wrote:

> Thanks Bill, if you intend to link it in then maybe our build scripts
> are not passing something to the Dyninst build correctly.
> Let me look and get back to you.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim G
>
> On 03/11/2014 07:54 AM, Bill Williams wrote:
>> We definitely try to link against a PIC libiberty.a, unless your CMake
>> configuration explicitly requests the GNU demangler instead. And if we
>> can't find one we'll try to download binutils and build it.
>>
>> Do you have the cmake output from when you configured Dyninst? That
>> should let me know what we did/didn't try to do.
>>
>> --bw
>>
>> On 03/10/2014 10:36 PM, Jim Galarowicz wrote:
>>> Hi Dyninst team,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for some advice on how to resolve, in a reasonable fashion a
>>> linking error I'm seeing.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to link the OpenSpeedShop utility: osswrapper using the new
>>> 8.2 git tree dyninst but I'm getting an undefined from libcommon for
>>> cplus_demangle.