[DynInst_API:] unstrip: A cool new Dyninst tool for adding symbols back to binaries

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:20:09 -0500
From: Barton Miller <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] unstrip: A cool new Dyninst tool for adding symbols back to binaries
We're starting a new section on our Dyninst downloads page for cool
new tools that work on binaries.

We just added "unstrip", a tool that restores the symbol table to
a stripped binary on Linux.

We use Dyninst's ability to parse stripped binaries to find the functions
within in the code, and then use Dyninst's ability to rewrite binaries to
produce a new executable with symbols added. The function labels that we add
are of the form:  targXXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the address of the function
entry point in hex).

New is our ability to add back in the function names of C library system
call stubs (like "open", "fork", "lseek", etc.) in statically linked
executables. Unlike other tools, this functionality works well on binaries
from most Linux distributions, versions and builds.

You can find unstrip at:

   http://www.paradyn.org/html/tools/unstrip.html

--bart miller

PS: Coming soon to the tools section is a Dyninst-based code coverage
    tool (with both function and basic block level output) that can be
    applied to binary programs.

PPS: If you have cool tool that you want included on this page, please
    let me know.

PPPS: A Windows version of unstrip is in the works.