[Chtc-users] Learn about compute cluster resources freely available to all UW researchers!

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:34:24 -0500
From: Zachary Miller <zmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chtc-users] Learn about compute cluster resources freely available to all UW researchers!
Hello!

We are sending this email to invite you to a series of information sessions and
tutorials on the Center for High Throughput Computing and the Condor software
that supports it.  The sessions are at most one hour each, are all free of
charge, and will be on May 2 between 1pm and 4pm.  We'll begin with a 45 minute
introduction to what is available to you, followed by coffee and cookies.
Then, we'll continue with more in-depth sessions on using the Condor software
and ways in which some research groups at UW-Madison are already using CHTC.
Feel free to come to individual sessions of interest or stay for all of them!
Please see the link below for more info.

To help the UW-Madison maintain its position as a leading research institution,
the Center for High-Throughput Computing (CHTC) was formed to offer the UW
community free access to computing capabilities that enable scientific
discovery.  The CHTC has numerous resources at its disposal to keep up with the
computational needs of UW-Madison, ranging from thousands of CPUs in federated
compute clusters across our own campus, to participation in the national Open
Science Grid (OSG) which brings together computing and storage resources
from over 80 campuses and research communities.

In addition to hardware resources, we have the experts on hand to guide you
through the process of running your application on the local CHTC hardware, on
your own cluster, on the grid, in the cloud, or wherever.

These talks will introduce the computational opportunities freely available to
the UW community and also share some success stories.  Please join us to hear
how your UW peers are putting high throughput computing to work, to learn about
the specific tools used to mange your jobs and workflows, and to find out how
your research group can participate.  Graduate students, research staff and PIs
whose research could benefit from a boost in computing power are especially
encouraged to attend!

See more information, a detailed agenda, and register here:

  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/CondorWeek2011/local-register.html

There is no charge, but we ask that you please register so we know how many
cookies to have on hand.  Registration will be limited to about 100 people, so
sign up today, and hopefully we will see you there!

Zach Miller
Condor Project
Center for High Throughput Computing