[madPL] Reading Group today (11/19)

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 06:36:26 +0000
From: Wiley Corning <wcorning@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [madPL] Reading Group today (11/19)
Hi everyone,

For today's madPL Reading Group, I will be presenting the paper Syntax-Guided Synthesis of Datalog Programs (FSE 2018). Coauthored by Aws and Paris with researchers at UPenn, this paper applies techniques from the field of active learning to efficiently synthesize Datalog programs.

Abstract:
Datalog has witnessed promising applications in a variety of domains. We propose a programming-by-example system, ALPS, to synthesize Datalog programs from input-output examples. Scaling synthesis to realistic programs in this manner is challenging due to the rich expressivity of Datalog. We present a syntax-guided synthesis approach that prunes the search space by exploiting the observation that in practice Datalog programs comprise rules that have similar latent syntactic structure. We evaluate ALPS on a suite of 34 benchmarks from three domains—knowledge discovery, program analysis, and database queries. The evaluation shows that ALPS can synthesize 33 of these benchmarks, and outperforms the state-of-the-art tools Metagol and Zaatar, which can synthesize only up to 10 of the benchmarks.
As with last week, this week's session will be Zoom-only [link]. Next week's slot is unscheduled due to the Thanksgiving holiday. However, for those who are planning to be in town on Friday, feel free to reach out on Slack if you'd be interested in a madPL lunch meetup instead.

Best,
Wiley Corning