[madPL] SemGuS Reading Group 6/24 (happening now!)

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:11:46 +0000
From: Wiley Corning <wcorning@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [madPL] SemGuS Reading Group 6/24 (happening now!)

Julien is now presenting; please feel free to join at https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/96450343227?pwd=emtGcHROSVZoOWsyWEFhN2wyazA2Zz09. A recording will be available later.

Introduction:

Hi everyone, tomorrow I'm going to be presenting Rosette and the Rosette paper at the reading group. For some more context, Rosette is one the solved-aided languages I'm using to implement a SemGuS solver, since it has the capability of synthesizing symbolic constructs and ASTs.

Abstract:

SAT and SMT solvers have automated a spectrum of programming tasks, including program synthesis, code checking, bug localization, program repair, and programming with oracles. In principle, we obtain all these benefits by translating the program (once) to a constraint system understood by the solver. In practice, however, compiling a language to logical formulas is a tricky process, complicated by having to map the solution back to the program level and extend the language with new solver-aided constructs, such as symbolic holes used in synthesis. This paper introduces Rosette, a framework for designing solver-aided languages. Rosette is realized as a solver-aided language embedded in Racket, from which it inherits extensive support for meta-programming. Our framework frees designers from having to compile their languages to constraints: new languages, and their solver-aided constructs, are defined by shallow (library-based) or deep (interpreter-based) embedding in Rosette itself.

Homework question:

The author's course on solver-aided programming at CAV 2019 goes over a good example of a circuit language SDSL with both deep and shallow embedding, which can be found here - https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~emina/media/cav19-tutorial/lab2.html.

See if you can complete some of the verification & synthesis exercises for this topic, as it is particularly relevant to what I'm doing with SemGuS, and I plan to go over it during the presentation.

Also, here is the actual paper link: https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~emina/doc/rosette.onward13.pdf