[madPL] Matt Fredrikson PL seminar

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 17:32:53 +0000
From: JOHN CYPHERT <jcyphert@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [madPL] Matt Fredrikson PL seminar
Hi Everyone,

We will be having a PL seminar Friday Nov 20, at 1pm CST. Matt Fredrikson from CMU will be presenting on How to find ML bugs that expose data and bias outcomes.

Abstract: Systems and services that rely on data to provide functionality are widespread, as a growing number of high-profile success stories drives their adoption into new domains. Increasingly, the technology underpinning this trend is deep learning, which has enabled new applications that had previously eluded traditional software development methods. However, this development has also been met with concerns around the privacy of individuals’ data, and the potential for these systems to discriminate in unintended and harmful ways. In this talk, I will show how privacy and fairness in ML applications concerns can be related through the lens of protected information use, and show that tools developed to help characterize ML models' use of such information can uncover new types of "bugs" that expose private training data and lead to unwarranted discrimination. Finally, I will discuss promising techniques that address these issues through novel data representations and model post-processing, leading to ML applications that solve important problems without jeopardizing the privacy and fairness concerns of their users.

Bio: Matt Fredrikson is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, where he joined in 2015 after receiving his PhD from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. His research aims to make ML-based systems more transparent and reliable by bringing rigorous techniques to bear on problems of fairness, privacy, and security. He is the recipient of a NSF CAREER award, and has received multiple best paper awards for his work on private machine learning.

See you on Friday,
John

Join Zoom Meeting
https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/97079120314?pwd=UFN3c3lDcWlieWdqdjVUNnk4aVZXUT09

Meeting ID: 970 7912 0314
Passcode: 790380
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,97079120314#,,,,,,0#,,790380# US (New York)
+13017158592,,97079120314#,,,,,,0#,,790380# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)