Re: [madPL] Aviral Goel PL Seminar

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 18:50:19 +0000
From: JOHN CYPHERT <jcyphert@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [madPL] Aviral Goel PL Seminar
10 min reminder.

From: Pl-seminar <pl-seminar-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of pl-seminar-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <pl-seminar-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 2:23 PM
To: pl-seminar@xxxxxxxxxxx <pl-seminar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [CAUTION: External] [madPL] Aviral Goel PL Seminar

Hi Everyone,

We will be having a PL seminar Friday Nov 13, at 1pm. Aviral Goel from Northeastern University will be presenting his SPLASH 2019 work. See below for more details

On the Design, Implementation, and Use of Laziness in R

Abstract:
In this talk, I will present the design and implementation of call-by-need in R, and a data-driven study of how generations of programmers have put laziness to use in their code. In our study, we analyze 16,707 R packages and observe the creation of 270.9 B promises. Our data suggest that there is little supporting evidence to assert that programmers use laziness to avoid unnecessary computation or to operate over infinite data structures. For the most part R code appears to have been written without reliance on and in many cases even knowledge of, delayed argument evaluation. The only significant exception is a small number of packages which leverage call-by-need for meta-programming. I will discuss how we intend to leverage these insights to remove laziness from R and enable non-intrusive migration of code from lazy to eager evaluation.

Bio: Aviral Goel is a 4th year Ph.D. student at Northeastern University, advised by Professor Jan Vitek. He is interested in improving tools and techniques for data science applications. He is currently working on removing laziness from R. He received a BE in Electronics and Communication Engineering in 2012 from NSIT, India.

P.S. We've recorded the past few PL seminar talks and have uploaded them to the madPL YouTube channel. Also, each recording is embedded in each talk webpage on the madPL website.

See you on Friday,
John

Join Zoom Meeting
https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/97079120314?pwd=UFN3c3lDcWlieWdqdjVUNnk4aVZXUT09

Meeting ID: 970 7912 0314
Passcode: 790380
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,97079120314#,,,,,,0#,,790380# US (New York)
+13017158592,,97079120314#,,,,,,0#,,790380# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)