[pl-seminar] FW: MSR Cambridge UK Intern Slot

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 18:53:24 +0000
From: Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] FW: MSR Cambridge UK Intern Slot

FYI

From: Jennifer Beckmann <Jennifer.Beckmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 10:30 AM
To: AN HAI DOAN <anhai@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Jignesh Patel <jignesh@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Ben Liblit <liblit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: MSR Cambridge UK Intern Slot

Hello Anhai, Jignesh, Tom, and Ben,

I hope this email is finding you well. My team in Microsoft Office is working with MSR Cambridge on research around the development process for the Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, and so on). We have an opportunity to host an MSR intern in the Cambridge UK lab this summer and we are looking for candidates. The position would be with Brendan Murphy in conjunction with Katja Kevic, who works on my team.

Office is one of the largest code bases on the planet that is supported by over four thousand engineers and ships across five different platforms (Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, and Web). We have been working with MSR on building up code-mining techniques, and supportive processes to help improve our engineering lifecycle practices. This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in studying and impacting Office’s development processes from languages shifts of C++ to _javascript_, to transformation of the testing approach, to telemetry approach, to security techniques, through to deployment of the product itself.

I hope you could share this with some students who are early in their PhD studies and looking for a rich and deep topic to collaborate with us on.

Here is the generic job description:

  • The intern will perform research on Microsoft’s software deployment processes, with the goal to bring new features to customers fast and reliably
  • Responsibilities will include some of the following: work closely with product teams to learn their processes and tools; thorough data analysis; development of models/prototypes to improve the development and deployment process and evaluate their usage in situ; the results of this research will be shared with product groups to measure impact
  • The successful candidate should be undertaking a PhD should have research experience in some of the following: use of software development tools, programming languages, productivity, data science. They should also have experience of software development.

Thanks,

Jen