Re: [pl-seminar] ROOM CHANGE - PLDI 2015 Practice Talk

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:06:30 -0500
From: Venkatesh Karthik Srinivasan <venk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [pl-seminar] ROOM CHANGE - PLDI 2015 Practice Talk
Hi all,

Unfortunately, I had issues with the projector in 3310.
I will give the talk in 4310 CS at 10 AM. Please note the change in room.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

On 2015-06-09 14:59, Venkatesh Srinivasan wrote:
Hi all,

I will be giving a practice talk for PLDI 2015 at 10 AM on Thursday
(June 11) in CS 3310. If you are able to attend, I would very much
appreciate your feedback. Please see the abstract below. The duration
of the talk is 20 minutes, followed by 5 minutes for questions.

Thanks in advance! I'm not sure if all of you are subscribed to
pl-seminar, so I apologize if you receive multiple copies of this
email.

Title: Synthesis of Machine Code from Semantics
Time: Thursday, June 11 @ 10 AM
Location: CS 3310

Abstract:
In this paper, we present a technique to synthesize machine-code
instructions from a semantic specification, given as a Quantifier-Free
Bit-Vector (QFBV) logic formula. Our technique uses an instantiation
of the Counter-Example Guided Inductive Synthesis (CEGIS) framework,
in combination with search-space pruning heuristics to synthesize
instruction-sequences. To counter the exponential cost inherent in
enumerative synthesis, our technique uses a divide-and-conquer
strategy to break the input QFBV formula into independent
sub-formulas, and synthesize instructions for the subformulas.
Synthesizers created by our technique could be used to create
semantics-based binary rewriting tools such as optimizers, partial
evaluators, program obfuscators/de-obfuscators, etc. Our experiments
for Intelâs IA-32  instruction set show that, in comparison to our
baseline algorithm, our search-space pruning heuristics reduce the
synthesis time by a factor of 473, and our divide-and-conquer strategy
reduces the synthesis time by a further 3 to 5 orders of magnitude.

Venkatesh