[pl-seminar] Reminder: PL Seminar talk in 10 minutes in 3310 CS

Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:51:54 -0500
From: Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Reminder: PL Seminar talk in 10 minutes in 3310 CS
PL Seminar: Data-Delineation in Software Binaries and its Application to Buffer-Overrun Discovery [1]

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 4:00pm to 5:00pm
3310 CS

Evan Driscoll
GrammaTech, Inc.
AbstractâDetecting memory-safety violations in binaries is complicated by
the lack of knowledge of the intended data layout, i.e., the locations and
sizes of objects. We present lightweight, static, heuristic analyses for
recovering the intended layout of data in a stripped binary. Comparison
against DWARF debugging information shows high precision and recall rates for
inferring source-level object boundaries. On a collection of benchmarks, our
analysis eliminates a third to a half of incorrect object boundaries
identified by an IDA Pro-inspired heuristic, while retaining nearly all valid
object boundaries.

In addition to measuring their accuracy directly, we evaluate the effect of
using the recovered data for improving the precision of static buffer-overrun
detection in the defect-detection tool CodeSonar/x86. We demonstrate that
CodeSonarâs false-positive rate drops by about 80% across our internal
evaluation suite for the tool, while our approximation of CodeSonarâs
recall only degrades about 25%.

(Joint work with Denis Gopan, Ducson Nguyen, Dimitri Naydich, Alexey Loginov
and David Melski.)

--

[1] http://www.cs.wisc.edu/events/2096