[pl-seminar] Visit by Koushik Sen, June 23

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:07:57 -0500
From: Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Visit by Koushik Sen, June 23
I am pleased to announce that Koushik Sen (UC-Berkeley)
will visit on June 23.  Let me know if you would like to meet
with him during that day (and what your availability is).

Tom

CS Events for Thursday, June 23, 2011

Programming Languages Seminar

Specifying and Checking Correctness of Parallel Programs
Koushik Sen, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California, Berkeley
Time: 4:00 pm, Room 1240 CS
Cookies: 3:30 pm, Room 1240 CS

The spread of multicore processors and manycore graphics processing units has greatly increased the need for parallel correctness tools. Reasoning about parallel multi-threaded programs is significantly more difficult than for sequential programs due to non-determinism. We believe that the only way to tackle this complexity is to separate reasoning about parallelism correctness (i.e., that a parallel program gives the same outcome despite thread interleavings) from reasoning about functional correctness (i.e., that the program produces the correct outcome on a thread interleaving). In this talk, I will describe two fundamental techniques for separating the parallelization correctness aspect of a program from its functional correctness. The first idea consists of extending programming languages with constructs for writing specifications, called bridge assertions, that focus on relating outcomes of two parallel executions differing only in thread-interleavings. The second idea consists of allowing a programmer to use a non- deterministic sequential program as the specification of a parallel one. For functional correctness, it is then enough to check the sequential program. For parallelization correctness, it is sufficient to check the deterministic behavior of the parallel program with respect to the non- deterministic sequential program. To check parallel correctness, we have developed a new scalable automated method for testing and debugging, called active testing. Active testing combines the power of imprecise program analysis with the precision of software testing to quickly discover concurrency bugs and to reproduce discovered bugs on demand.

Bio: Koushik Sen is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley. His research interest lies in Software Engineering, Programming Languages, and Formal methods. He is interested in developing software tools and methodologies that improve programmer productivity and software quality. He is best known for his work on directed automated random testing and concolic testing. He has received a NSF CAREER Award in 2008, a Haifa Verification Conference (HVC) Award in 2009, a IFIP TC2 Manfred Paul Award for Excellence in Software: Theory and Practice in 2010, and a Sloan Foundation Fellowship in 2011. He has won three ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Awards. He received the C.L. and Jane W- S. Liu Award in 2004, the C. W. Gear Outstanding Graduate Award in 2005, and the David J. Kuck Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis Award in 2007 from the UIUC Department of Computer Science. He holds a B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, and M.S. and Ph.D. in CS from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.