[pl-seminar] Practice talk for ICSE 2010 - 3pm Friday April 23 in 1240 CS

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:12:02 -0500
From: Piramanayagam Arumuga Nainar <arumuga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Practice talk for ICSE 2010 - 3pm Friday April 23 in 1240 CS
Hi,

I am planning to give a practice talk for ICSE 2010 today (Friday) at 3pm. It is in room 1240 (different from the earlier email I sent to some of you). It'd be great if you can attend and give your feedback.

Title: Adaptive Bug Isolation
Abstract:
Statistical debugging uses lightweight instrumentation and statistical models to identify program behaviors that are strongly predictive of failure. However, most software is mostly correct; nearly all monitored behaviors are poor predictors of failure. We propose an adaptive monitoring strategy that mitigates the overhead associated with monitoring poor failure predictors. We begin by monitoring a small portion of the program, then automatically refine instrumentation over time to zero in on bugs. We formulate this approach as a search on control-dependence graph of the program. We present and evaluate various heuristics that can be used for this search. We also discuss the construction of a binary instrumentor for incorporating the feedback loop into post-deployment monitoring. Performance measurements show that adaptive bug isolation yields an average performance overhead of 1% for a class of large applications, as opposed to 87% for realistic sampling-based instrumentation and 300% for complete binary instrumentation.

Thanks,
-Arumuga