[pl-seminar] Fall PL seminar beginning

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:58:36 -0500
From: Steve Jackson <sjackso@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Fall PL seminar beginning
Greetings, PL folk!

This fall's PL seminar is starting up next week. This semester we will normally meet on Thursdays at 4:00 pm. We have CS 3310 reserved for that time.

Upcoming seminars will be announced on this list and on the PL seminar web page: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/areas/pl/seminar.php . Please let me know if you are interested in giving a talk.

Our first talk will happen next Thursday, September 25:

Handling Timing Anomalies for Efficient WCET Analysis
    Rathijit Sen, University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Time: 4:00 pm, Room 3310 CS

Abstract:
Estimating the Worst-Case-Execution-Time (WCET) of a program on a given hardware platform requires finding safe upper bounds on the execution time of the program on that platform. Abstractions employed for static timing analysis can lead to non-determinism that may require the analyzer to evaluate an exponential number of choices even for straight- line code. Pruning the search space is difficult because of the danger of "Timing Anomalies" where local worst-case choices may not lead to the global worst-case scenario. In this talk, I will present our approach towards a more efficient WCET analysis that uses precomputed information to safely discard states in almost constant time.

This is joint work with Jan Reineke and Reinhard Wilhelm.