[pl-seminar] practice talk for CAV

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:42:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Denis Gopan <gopan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] practice talk for CAV
Hello,

I'd like to do a practice talk for CAV this Friday, at 4:00pm, room 3310 (turns out, we have it reserved for PL seminars at that time).
I'm sorry for the late notice. I hope some of you can still make it.

This is standard conference talk: 25 minutes with questions at the end.

--denis

Title:

Low-Level Library Analysis and Summarization

Abstract:

Programs typically make extensive use of libraries, including dynamically linked libraries, which are often not available in source-code form, and hence not analyzable by tools that work at source level (i.e., that analyze intermediate representations created from source code). A common approach is to write library models by hand. A library model is a collection of function stubs and variable declarations that capture some aspect of the library code's behavior. Because these are hand-crafted, they are likely to contain errors, which may cause an analysis to return
incorrect results.

This paper presents a method to construct summary information for a library function automatically by analyzing its low-level implementation (i.e., the library's binary).

This is joint work with Thomas Reps.