[pl-seminar] FW: Opportunities at MSR India in Programming Langauges/Software Engineering

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:53:47 -0600
From: "Thomas Reps" <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] FW: Opportunities at MSR India in Programming Langauges/Software Engineering
Title: Message
FYI ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Sriram Rajamani [mailto:sriram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 10:57 PM
To: reps@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ganesan Ramalingam

Dear Tom,

We would like to ask for your assistance in informing outstanding students about opportunities at Microsoft Research India, both full-time positions and internships.

As you know, Researchers at Microsoft Research (MSR) offers have an unequalled opportunity to conduct fundamental research with few resource constraints and, at the same time, to influence and improve software development for the world’s largest software company and its customers. They also have the opportunity to collaborate with academic colleagues.

Microsoft Research India was inaugurated in January 2005, in Bangalore, India’s IT capital. MSR India’s Rigorous Software Engineering group, started in October 2005, does basic and applied research in programming languages and software engineering.  We work on a wide set of topics including various kinds of program analyses, security analysis,  programming language design and software engineering in the large. Our web page gives an overview of the projects and people we have working in the group.

In just over a year, we have had papers in POPL 2007, TACAS 2007, ESOP 2007, FSE 2006 (best paper award),  FMSE 2006 and HotNets 2006. One of our security analysis tools has been adopted by a product group inside Microsoft.

Last summer we had 8 interns and 2 visitors. The interns were both from within and outside India. From outside India, we had interns from places like Carnegie Melon University, University of California at Santa Cruz, New York University and Tel Aviv University  (Israel). From India, we had interns from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Indian Institute of Science, and Chennai Mathematical Institute. Our long-term visitors included Prof. Prasad Sistla from Chicago, and Dr. Stefan Schwoon from the University of Stuttgart. Several projects started over last summer have resulted in conference publications.  Some of these involved collaborations with MSR Redmond and MSR Cambridge.

For a student from any part of the world, MSR India promises to be a very interesting experience in terms of doing leading-edge research, in addition to being a distinctive global  cultural experience.

We are also very interested in senior researchers in these areas, either for full-time positions or sabbatical visits.

Applications for fulltime and intern positions can be made from our website at: http://research.microsoft.com/aboutmsr/labs/india/.  If you or your students have questions or would like further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Sriram  K. Rajamani  & Ganesan Ramalingam

Microsoft Research India.