[pl-seminar] Thursday, Sept. 1 @ 10 am in CS 2310

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:21:16 -0500
From: Nicholas Kidd <kidd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Thursday, Sept. 1 @ 10 am in CS 2310
I will be giving a talk on Thursday, Sept. 1 at 10 am in room 2310. The talk is practice for PASTE. It will be *25* minutes with cookies. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nick

<-- Abstract -->
Information about string values at key points in a program
can help program understanding, reverse engineering, and
forensics. We present a static-analysis technique for recovering
possible string values in an executable program, when
no debug information or source code is available. The result
of our analysis is a regular language that describes a superset
of the string values possible at a given program point.
We also impart some of the lessons learned in the process of
implementing our analysis as a tool for recovering C-style
strings in x86 executables.