[$LIST] FW: IBM Research Summer Interns and Regular Positions

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:16:46 -0600
From: "Thomas Reps" <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [$LIST] FW: IBM Research Summer Interns and Regular Positions
Title: Message

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hind [mailto:hindm@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 4:02 PM
To: horwitz@xxxxxxxxxxx; reps@xxxxxxxxxxx

Susan, Tom,

        Below is info for students interested in summer and regular positions.  Feel free to forward this to whatever students or faculty might be interested.

Thanks,
Mike

It's that time of year again where IBM Research is looking for top students interested in Programming Languages and Software Engineering, for both summer internships and full-time positions.   Our summer internship program provides students with a unique opportunity to experience the research environment that exists here at IBM.  The program is highly competitive, and is designed for top students who are interested in tackling challenging research problems.  Many of our students have authored papers, or even theses, out of their sojourn with us, and many have contributed significantly to open source projects.

IBM Research is perhaps the best, most mature research division in the world, and we continue to remain vital to our company and our industry.   What makes IBM Research unique is our proximity to the entire software life cycle.  IBM is a leader, not only in the software development industry, but in the deployment,  testing, and maintenance of this software at major customer sites throughout the world.   We are constantly exposed to real world problems that help raise fundamental research challenges and opportunities, often ones that the rest of the research community is not yet aware of.

Permanent hires at IBM have a chance to change the world.  IBM's broad range of commercial technologies provides nearly unlimited potential for research solutions to have widespread downstream impact.
One recent hire has been able to take his seminal thesis work, and combine it with closely related work at IBM .   The resulting work has been published in top conferences and has the possibility of creating a significant new market measured in billions of dollars.

Our department does leading research in a number of areas, all centered on making program development and maintenance more productive, and making the software produced more efficient, more manageable, and less failure-prone at runtime.  Among the topics we pursue are: software architecture design, management, and implementation; programming language design; formalisms and tools for modeling and implementing business applications; processes, management techniques, and metrics for software development and testing; program analysis and verification; understanding, debugging, and monitoring software systems; dynamic and adaptive code optimization; web services and grid computing; and human computer interaction.

Students interested in summer jobs in programming languages and software engineering at the T.J. Watson Research Center (NY area) should send a resume to Matthew Arnold, marnold@xxxxxxxxxx, who is coordinating our departments summer program, and also formally apply online at the appropriate link below.

Job application link for graduate students: http://careers1.peopleclick.com/jobposts/Client40_GLDTR/BU1/External/139-8389.htm

Job application link for undergraduate students: http://careers1.peopleclick.com/jobposts/Client40_GLDTR/BU1/External/139-8391.htm

The general IBM Research jobs site is http://www-1.ibm.com/employment/ and for more information about Programming Languages and Software Engineering Projects at IBM Research, see http://www.research.ibm.com/compsci/plansoft/index.html

Michael Hind, Manager, Dynamic Optimization Group
IBM Watson Research Center
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/hind
hind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 914 784-7589, tie: 863-7589
Jikes RVM open source release:  www.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm