[$LIST] Joint security/PL talk today

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:04:18 -0500
From: Mihai Christodorescu <mihai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [$LIST] Joint security/PL talk today

I want to draw your attention to today's 4PM joint security/PL seminar, where Jonathon Giffin (UW) will talk about automatic extraction of accurate application-Specific sandboxing policy.

This is an informal presentation meant to generate vigurous discussion, so feel free to ask questions throughout the talk.

Date, time, location:
--------------------

today [Thursday, October 7, 2004]
4:00 - 5:00 PM
1221 CS

Abstract:
--------

I present work by Lap Chung Lam and Tzi-Cker Chiueh that appeared at RAID 2004. You have likely heard previous talks about my own work: using static binary analysis to build models of correct program execution. Here is an opportunity to learn about another approach to model construction. This will be an informal discussion; come ready to critique and brainstorm.

The paper describes the design, implementation, and evaluation of a "program semantics-aware intrusion detection system" called Paid, which automatically derives an application-specific system call behavior model from the application's source code and checks the application's run-time system call pattern against this model to thware any control hijacking attacks. The per-application behavior model is in the form of the sites and orderings of system calls made in the application, as well as its partial control flow.

Mihai

--
 - mihai@xxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~mihai -
  The man of knowledge must be able not only to love