[$LIST] PL Seminar Reminder

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:22:12 -0500
From: Gogul Balakrishnan <bgogul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [$LIST] PL Seminar Reminder
Hi All,

There is a PL seminar by G. Ramalingam (IBM Hawthorne) at 2:30pm today in 1257. (Details and Abstract below.)

Thanks,
Gogul
2:30 pm, 1257 CS (Cookies: 3:30 pm, 2310 CS)
Programming  Languages  Seminar:  G. Ramalingam, IBM Hawthorne Research Center,
   "Verifying Safety Properties using Separation and Heterogeneous Abstraction"
   The  increasingly  important  and critical role that software is playing has
   led to an increasing recognition of the need for more reliable, secure,  and
   safe software. This has led to a significant focus on static verification of
   software properties in the recent years -- ensuring that a program satisfies
   certain  safety  properties,  without running it. While significant advances
   have been made in this respect, developing verification techniques that  are
   simultaneously precise and scalable enough continues to be a challenge.

   In  this  talk,  we  show how separation (decomposing a verification problem
   into a collection of verification subproblems) can be used  to  improve  the
   efficiency  and precision of verification of safety properties. We present a
   simple language for specifying separation strategies for decomposing a  sin-
   gle verification problem into a set of subproblems. (The strategy specifica-
   tion is distinct from the safety property  specification  and  is  specified
   separately.)  We  present  a  general framework of heterogeneous abstraction
   that allows different parts of the heap to  be  abstracted  using  different
   degrees  of  precision  at different points during the analysis. We show how
   the goals of separation (i.e., more efficient verification) can be  realized
   by  first  using a separation strategy to transform (instrument) a verifica-
   tion problem instance (consisting of a safety property specification and  an
   input  program),  and by then utilizing heterogeneous abstraction during the
   verification of the transformed verification problem.

(Joint work with Eran Yahav.)