Re: Simple source translation tool?

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:18:24 -0600 (CST)
From: Manoj Plakal <plakal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Simple source translation tool?
Mihai Christodorescu wrote (Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 07:13:53PM -0600) :
> 	I am looking for a simple tool that would allow me to perform program
> transformations (from source to source), on C, C++, and Java. The
> transformations I am thinking of are (mostly) orthogonal to existing code,
> such as:

	EDG (www.edg.com) has a C++ front-end (Java and FORTRAN too)
	which is quite robust and widely used (in industry and
	academic projects). They provide source code for non-commercial
	academic use if you sign a license. The front-end can parse
	C/C++ into an intermediate form, process it and then spit
	out C/C++ again.

	Susan Horwitz has a license for the EDG C++ front-end and
	you can approach her. There is also Stephen Adamczyk at
	jsa@xxxxxxx whom you can contact.

	I know this because I signed the license yesterday and
	got access to the source code (I might need to use a
	source-to-source translator in my research). I guess Susan
	and Stephen will be surprised to see requests from Wisconsin
	students in rapid succession :)

	Regarding general C++ grammars and so on, the PCCTS tool set
	is quite well known and widely used (I think). Its grammars
	are different from Yacc/Bison format but the tools are prettty
	powerful. See:
		http://www.polhode.com/pccts.html
	Also, look at www.compilerconnection.com for pointers to
	other tools, grammars etc. There are a lot of C++ grammars
	and parsers out there.

	BTW, if you are doing simple instrumentation, you could
	use a binary editing tool such as EEL.
	     (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~larus/warts.html)
	There's also the Paradyn's group DynInst stuff which will
	do binary editing for inserting instrumentation code.

	Manoj