Faculty positions at Rochester

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:27:22 -0600 (CST)
From: Gurindar Sohi <sohi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Faculty positions at Rochester

------- Forwarded Message

From: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:21:50 -0500 (EST)
To: sohi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: faculty openings at Rochester

Dear Guri:

I writing to ask your help in spreading word of tenure-track openings in
CS and ECE at Rochester, in areas that include networking, multimedia,
architecture and VLSI, databases, programming languages and compilers,
and operating systems.  We're interested in candidates at all levels of
experience.

Given that almost every department in the country seems to be hiring
this year, the obvious question is "Why Rochester?"  There are several
very good answers:

  - Collegiality.
    With just a dozen tenure-track lines, URCS has an almost unique
    combination of international reputation and personal scale.  In fact
    there's only one school in the country (CalTech) that's ranked
    higher with fewer people.  The whole faculty fits around one table,
    and almost everything is decided by consensus.  We share all of our
    lab space, cross-mount all of our file systems, and run a single
    password file -- no balkanization.  We guarantee financial support
    to every Ph.D. student, regardless of area or advisor.

  - Interdisciplinary opportunities.
    We routinely work and publish at the boundaries between traditional
    areas, both within CS and across the University.  We have
    externally-funded projects or pending proposals with co-PIs in
    biology, cardiology, chemistry, dermatology, electrical and computer
    engineering, experimental psychology, linguistics, neurology,
    neurosurgery, opthalmology, optics, philosophy, physics and
    astronomy, and radiology.  Nearly half our faculty is actively
    involved in the Center for Future Health, allied with the MIT Media
    Lab, which aims to empower individuals by developing medical
    technology cheap enough and user-friendly enough to be deployed in
    the home.

  - Uncompromising standards.
    Rochester has always been picky.  Our students are as good as you'll
    find anywhere, and our placement record is outstanding.  Our faculty
    includes two NSF PYI recipients, an ONR Young Investigator, and
    four NSF CAREER award recipients.  Our external research funding
    exceeds $250K per faculty member per year.

  - Quality of life.
    With just over one million people, the Rochester area has most of
    the advantages of a big city without most of the disadvantages.
    There is a thriving arts scene, fueled in part by the number one
    music school in the country.  There are beautiful residential
    neighborhoods of almost every kind, with three-bedroom starter homes
    below $100,000.  Several of the public school districts are among
    the best in the country.  The surrounding countryside is gorgeous.
    There are four real seasons, each with its distinctive charm, and
    contrary to what you may have heard, winter is not significantly
    longer than the other three :-).

I've appended a copy of our joint CS/ECE recruiting ad below.  It will
appear in the December and January issues of IEEE Computer.  A separate,
CS-only ad has also appeared in CACM and Computing Research News.  The
CS ad has been distributed to the CRN mailing list; my apologies if it
has already reached you and this note is thus redundant.

Further information about the department can be found at
http://www.cs.rochester.edu.  I'd be grateful if you'd circulate our ad
and encourage anyone who might be interested to send us an application
packet.  In addition, if you could send me the names of likely
candidates, I would welcome the chance to contact them directly.

Many thanks,

Michael

- -------------------
Michael L. Scott
Professor and recruiting chair
Computer Science Dept.      (716) 275-7745, 5478
University of Rochester       FAX 461-2018
Rochester, NY  14627-0226   scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/scott/

===================

                     UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER

The departments of Computer Science and Electrical & Computer
Engineering at the University of Rochester invite applications for
multiple tenure-track faculty positions.  These positions are part of
an expansion of the Computer Systems and VLSI Circuits Group, a major
inter-departmental research and curricular initiative.  We are
particularly interested in candidates in the areas of computer
architecture, compilers, networking, IO/databases, mixed-signal
circuits, and VLSI circuits and related design methodologies
Candidates must possess or be working towards a Ph.D. in Computer
Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related
discipline.  Positions are available in each department; joint
appointments will also be considered.

The Computer Systems and VLSI Circuits Group currently consists of
four faculty members and 20 Ph.D. students, with research projects in
high performance and energy-efficient processor and memory
architectures; run-time, OS, and architectural support for parallel
and distributed computing; high speed digital and mixed-signal circuit
design; and optimal clocking, retiming, and pipelining methodologies.
Current research funding for the group exceeds $1.4M/year, with major
grants from NSF, the Semiconductor Research Corporation, Compaq,
Intel, IBM, Microsoft, Motorola, Lucent, and Xerox, among others.  We
seek candidates who can assume a leadership role in developing new
research and curricular initiatives that will significantly build upon
existing group efforts.

Both CS and ECE are ranked among the top small departments nationwide,
with a combined total of 27 tenure-track positions and about 100
Ph.D. students.  The University of Rochester is a small, private,
highly-selective research University with undergraduate and graduate
enrollments of 4,000 and 2,000, respectively, in Arts and Sciences and
Engineering and Applied Sciences.  The small size of the University
and high-quality student population allows for world-class research on
a human scale.  Further information on the Computer Systems and VLSI
Circuits Group can be found at http://www.csvc.rochester.edu.
Applicants should send a CV, selected reprints, and the names and
addresses of at least three references to:

 	Faculty Recruiting Committee
 	Departments of Computer Science
             and Electrical & Computer Engineering
        734 Computer Studies Building
 	University of Rochester
 	Rochester, NY  14627-0226

The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity employer; women and
members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.

------- End of Forwarded Message