Re: [condor-users] Some questions regarding Condor, Clusters and The Grid

Clusters are a pool of computers that can be used for job submission yes?

Yes.

Im unsure about what The Grid means everyone seems to have their
own definition and idea?

People have their own definitions, yes. In general, think of hooking together different clusters of computers, under different administrative control, so that they can be shared by people needing computing power. But again, that's just one definition of many.

By the way, I don't think we will have "The" Grid, but we will have many grids.

Is The Grid to enable resources to be accessed by remote users ?

Yes.

Now what my task to do on "The Grid" is for some CPU intensive data
processing to be carried out on behalf of a remote user. All the remote
use has is their dataset in a text file. This data processing is the resource
that i want to make available.. I do not wish my cluster to be made
available - only to be used internally for the processing..

Does anyone have any pointers on what I need to do?

I'm confused. You are supposed to analyze his data, but you don't want to? I'm not sure we can help you with that.

You can set up your site as a grid site and strictly control access to it. Just because it is a grid site does not mean that anyone can use it, but only people that you choose to let use it.

Im guessing Condor-G and Globus but from what i have understood from
the things i have read is that these make the cluster available to remote
users to run jobs which is not what i want.

Condor-G and Globus will let the remote users you choose use the cluster without logging in. You can choose which users are allowed to do that.

If you don't want to let any users remotely use your cluster, then you have that freedom. You can let the user do his analysis by logging in directly, or you can do it for him. You'll get the results you need, but most people wouldn't consider it to be a grid.

-alain