Re: [HTCondor-users] No other user than root can locate the Collector or the Negotiator through the Python bindings

HiÂGaetan,

For allowing the read of ads on the collector, on the central manager, the settings of interest would be:

SEC_READ_AUTHENTICATION / _ENCRYPTION / _INTEGRITY (which will fall back to SEC_DEFAULT_* if not set)

If any of these are set to REQUIRED, then authentication must happen (even if AUTHENTICATION is OPTIONAL or PREFERRED, though authentication can be anonymous if SSL is used).

Similarly, the list of authentication methods in SEC_READ_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS will be used, which will fall back to SEC_DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS if not set.

Finally, ALLOW_READ says who can read ads from the collector, usually ALLOW_READ = * is fine unless you have something to hide.

On the client-side (even if on the same machine as the central manager), SEC_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION / _ENCRYPTION / _INTEGRITY and SEC_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS follow the same rules as above.

This should at least help solve the reading of the machine ads to get the pool status and resolve the "Unable to locate local daemon" error for talking with the negotiator. For updating priorities on the negotiator, though, that requires ADMINISTRATOR level privileges, so then you would also need to set ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR appropriately on the central manager. You should really use authentication for this... for example, if this script is running from the same machine as the central manager under a restricted service account (for example, "scriptuser"), you should be able to use FS authentication and add the user to the ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR list:

ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR = $(ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR) scriptuser@fs

Jason