[HTCondor-users] Can't get htcondor/execute nodes to run Docker Universe jobs

Hi,

I have successfully managed to get a Docker container running the image htcondor/mini to run Docker Universe jobs:

Dockerfile:

FROM htcondor/mini:10.0.2-el8

# Install the docker client

RUN yum install -y wget nano

RUN wget https://download.docker.com/linux/centos/8/x86_64/stable/Packages/docker-ce-cli-19.03.13-3.el8.x86_64.rpm

RUN yum install -y docker-ce-cli-19.03.13-3.el8.x86_64.rpm

[…]

# Give to user condor the necessary rights to use docker

RUN groupadd docker || :

RUN usermod -aG docker condor

# Start HTCondor

CMD ["condor_master", "-f"]

Command:

docker run -it --network host --name condor --rm \

    -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \

    my_mini_condor:version

I wanted to go a step further and create a full cluster using the htcondor/cm, htcondor/submit and htcondor/execute images.

Dockerfile (for execute nodes):

FROM htcondor/execute:10.0.2-el8

[…]

# Give to user condor the necessary rights to use docker

RUN groupadd docker || :

RUN usermod -aG docker condor

# Start HTCondor

CMD ["/bin/bash", "-x", "/start.sh"]

Command:

docker run -it --name condor-node2 --rm --network=condor-network \

    -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \

    -e CONDOR_HOST=condor.test.cm \

    -h condor.test.node2 \

    -e USE_POOL_PASSWORD=YES \

    -v /home/gage/tests/condor/password:/etc/condor/passwords-orig.d \

    deregistry.terma.com/termade/mmepi/mmepi-sw/mmepi_condor_node:3.0.99

My little cluster works and I can run Vanilla Universe jobs just fine, but the Docker jobs stay idle forever.

I can run docker commands from within the execute containers just fine, and I don’t understand why condor does not pick up docker this time.

condor_status -l | grep -i docker returns nothing, and running things like condor_restart, condor_master -f or condor_reconfig do not resolve the issue.

Here is what condor_q -better-analyze returns:

Thanks,

Gaëtan

Gaetan Geffroy
Junior Software Engineer, Space

Terma GmbH
Europaarkaden II, Bratustraße 7, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany
T +49 6151 86005 43 (direct)  •  T +49 6151 86005-0
Terma GmbH - Sitz Darmstadt  •  Handelsregister Nr.: HRB 7411, Darmstadt
Geschäftsführer: Poul Vigh / Steen Vejby Sørensen
www.terma.com •
LinkedinTwitterInstagramYoutube

Attention:
This e-mail (and attachment(s), if any) - intended for the addressee(s) only - may contain confidential, copyright, or legally privileged information or material, and no one else is authorized to read, print, store, copy, forward, or otherwise use or disclose any part of its contents or attachment(s) in any form. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me by telephone or return e-mail, and delete this e-mail and attachment(s). Thank you.