Re: [HTCondor-users] Job being queued when script echoes nothing

A DAG is not going to know how to deal with a submit file that does not submit any jobs â should it treat that as a failure? A success?

You do not say what version of HTCondor, or of DAG man.  Is this a modern versions that does direct submit? Or an older version that is using condor_submit to submit the jobs?

-tj

From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Marco van Zwetselaar
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2023 2:21 PM
To: John M Knoeller via HTCondor-users <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Job being queued when script echoes nothing

Hi John,

This old issue bit me again, so I double checked. What's happening is that the bug occurs only when the job is in a dag.

With the following:

  echo-nothing.sh:
    #!/bin/sh
    exit 0

  empty.job:
    executable = /usr/bin/echo
    arguments = "[$(ARG)]"
    output = job.out
    queue ARG from ./echo-nothing.sh |

  empty.dag:
    JOB empty empty.job

Submitting empty.job correctly gives the warning and queues no jobs, whereas "condor_submit_dag empty.dag" surprisingly queues and executes the job.

Cheers
Marco