From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Michele Peresano <michele.peresano@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2022 1:10 PM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-users] String composite argument

Dear all,

I am trying to run an executable that in my home directory I would run like this,

bash script.sh -d -r A B C D ‘do this && do that

I tried both the old and new syntax as shown at
but probably I am doing some subtle mistake...

In my .sub file I am doing some parametrisation that works fine for all args, but the composite one.

A=bla
B=this_other_thing
[…]

I tried this (old syntax),

E='do this && do that
[…]
arguments               = -d -r $(A) $(B) … $(E)

which from a dry run seems to work as I see

Args="-d -r content_A content_B …  ‘do this && do that’ “

but when submitting to the remote cluster my script debug prints show that argument E is equal to just

’do

whereas from my home the same string of arguments when copy/pasted as it is above works as expected (i.e. E=‘do this && do that’).

I tried also this (new syntax)

E=""do this && do that""
[…]
arguments               =" -d -r $(A) $(B) … $(E)

but this generates something like

bash script.sh -d -r A B C D \"do this && do that\

which of course make my program crash after "