Re: [HTCondor-users] Error: Could not fetch startd ads

Yes, Christoph is right.  Here are some more specifics and some additional explanation.

On your Central Manager (the CONDOR_HOST) you seem to have authentication for READ operations set to "REQUIRED".  (Or perhaps you set SEC_DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION)

The "FS" method does not work from one machine to another because it works using the local /tmp directory.

The "PASSWORD" method works when running as root because root can read the credential used for PASSWORD authentication.  However, regular uses cannot (and should not be able to) read that credential.

So that explains the behavior you are seeing.

What I would suggest is that you change these settings on your Central Manager:

SEC_READ_AUTHENTICATION = OPTIONAL
SEC_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION = OPTIONAL

Have you also turned on ENCRYPTION or INTEGRITY settings?  If so, they will force authentication because they promote the necessity of AUTHENTICATION to their own setting.  For example, if you set ENCRYPTION to REQUIRED, then that also makes AUTHENTICATION required as well.

Please let me know if you have more questions and I would be happy to help.  I could also look at your config file to see if there are other issues.  Feel free to send that to me off-list.  You can use a command like this to get just the important security settings:
	condor_config_val -dump SEC_

Cheers,
-zach