[HTCondor-users] user job wrapper: payload exit code / multiprocessing

Hi all,

within a USER_JOB_WRAPPER I would like to evaluate the user job's exit
code after the payload has finished - which AFAIS does not work with
bash's exec as required [1].

While I could start the user job in a (bash) subshell/forking it, there
seems to be no way to pass the 'correct' (user job's) exit code and
stdout/stderr back to the starter, or?
While catching a subshell's exit code would work, I found no obvious way
how to get stdout and stderr into separate variables to hand them
through to the condor_starter.

So, I have been thinking to go for python's multiprocessing to start the
user job in a separate process, let the wrapper live in parallel [2] and
process the payload's output afterwards.

Would such an approach work or is there something else I have missed?

Cheers and thanks,
  Thomas

[1]
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v8.5/3_3Configuration.html#SECTION004312000000000000000
"This wrapper script must ultimately replace its image with the user
job; thus, it must exec() the user job, not fork() it"

[2]
and maybe monitor in parallel - but which probably better covered by a
startd cron hook...