Re: [Condor-users] Third-party file staging with Condor-G

On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Jan Ploski wrote:

The following message thread shows (I think) that third-party file staging
(from/to a GridFTP server different than the submission host) is not
implemented in Condor-G and currently not possible:

https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2006-July/ msg00059.shtml

The most recent suggestion in that thread was to use a substitution macro
in order to refer to the matched target GT4 host:

https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2006-July/ msg00128.shtml

However, I can't see how this alone could solve the staging problem. The required transferCredentialEndpoint must refer to a piece of data which
1) has to be created by Condor before the WS-GRAM job is created (this
possibly only occurs if you specify input_files/output_files?)
2) has to be known by id to the job submitter - but I didn't find any
macro which would expand to this id

So I guess I have to repeat the original question: is WS-GRAM-level
third-party file staging possible with Condor-G somehow, nevertheless? If not, are there any plans to implement it? The quickest hack which would already bring big improvement would be to make it possible to inject one or more <transfer> elements into the Condor-generated <transferRequest>
element.

Third-party file staging is something we're interested in add to Condor-G, but there hasn't been enough user demand for us to spend the time implementing it.

You can fake it by disabling all Condor-managed file transfer in your submit file and adding your own transfer directives like so:

transfer_executable = false
transfer_input = false
transfer_output = false
transfer_error = false
remote_initialdir = <somewhere>
should_transfer_files = NO
globus_xml = <file staging directives>

This requires you to do your own credential delegation for the transfers.

Thanks and regards,
Jaime Frey
UW-Madison Condor Team