Re: [Condor-users] Evidence of Impact when running "nice" onwindows"

I'll add my comments even though they may contradict the previous
deadline I modified my Condor desktop policy to contribute all our
desktop nodes fulltime to the queue.

My personal desktop is a 2.26Ghz P4, with 1GB RAM, and running Windows
XP SP2.  Our condor pool uniformly runs version 6.6.10.  When jobs were
running on my desktop it was nearly unusable.  Even for something as
mundane as instant messenger, I was able to type dozens of words ahead
of the computer which often missed keystrokes or even entire words.  My
Exchange server connection would constantly timeout eventually forcing
me to work from my laptop just to read email.  Most of the jobs were
Support Vector Model (SVM) training runs.  This is a fairly common
statistical clustering technique which is memory intensive.  I believe
this type of job impacts the system for two reasons:

1) the large memory footprint forces other applications to swap out.

2) because all operations are performed on in-memory data, there are no
wait states introduced for slow I/O devices which would free up the
processor for other tasks.

I'm sure there are things we could have done to tweak the condor policy
to make our desktops a little more useful; however, the 10 days or so
that we were inconvenienced did not justify the time it would have taken
to modify and test the policy -- especially given the fact we couldn't
afford to have jobs fail during that time period due to policy
misconfigurations.

Your mileage will vary.  Now that our major deadline has been met, I'm
hoping to rollout 6.8.x to the pool with some policy modifications which
may address some of these issues.  It has been my experience that Condor
does require occasional tweaking to keep everyone happy.

Bryan Maher
Carnegie Mellon University

P.S. This is not intended to be a negative commentary on Condor.  We get
a lot of work done using Condor and I recommend giving it a try.  It may
or may not be the tool for you but you won't know until you try it.