Re: [HTCondor-devel] Importing HTCondor source

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:17:53 -0600
From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Importing HTCondor source
On 3/10/2016 6:44 AM, Ricardo Oda wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to read parts of the source code to understand how they work,
but it's hard without a proper working environment.

I'm not an expert at importing existing big projects into IDE's. I would
like to know if there are or you could give me some directions to how
import HTCondor source code into an proper IDE so that the referencing
between classes, variables and methods works properly.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.10. I don't know which IDE is used in the
development, but I've worked with Eclipse a few times.

Much appreciated,
Ricardo Oda

I cannot speak for everyone, but I think on Linux most folks (including myself) do not use an IDE per se, but just use the gnu toolchain directly (gcc, gdb, gprof, etc), gvim, and extensive use of git grep. Having said that you may find this URL useful
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24109/c-ide-for-linux

On Windows it is a different story, I definitely use the awesome Microsoft Visual Studio, which HTCondor is setup to use since cmake will directly create Visual Studio project files. Visual Studio is the reason that when I work on HTCondor code that is platform agnostic, I tend to do it in Windows instead of Linux.

regards
Todd