Re: [HTCondor-devel] DEFAULT_UPDATE_INTERVAL?

Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 14:44:34 -0500
From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] DEFAULT_UPDATE_INTERVAL?

Re the below, perhaps just a metaknob (see https://is.gd/IgD7MV ), so the admin could just say something like

  use policy : fast_polling
or
  use policy : scalable_polling

?  We could come up with better names.

By using a metaknob, we
a) don't have to change any code, just add it into param_info.in (see https://is.gd/m9xYSq ) b) admins can query what the setting changes via condor_config_val use policy : fast_polling

just my $.02,
Todd

On 6/7/2016 2:26 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
Hi friends,

In some of my work with customers, they've expressed a desire to
shorten the update interval all around. The two main motivations are:
   1. cloud environments, where shortening CLASSAD_LIFETIME means nodes
that go poof unexpectedly are dropped from the collector sooner
   2. HA failover using an external tool (e.g. Pacemaker) has shorter
missing host times (we always suggest using HTCondor's HA mechanism,
but...)

Before I went off and filed an enhancement request in Trac, I was
curious if this had been considered and rejected before. I couldn't
find a relevant ticket, but that doesn't mean it's not there (or
perhaps it never made it that far).

What I have in mind is a configuration macro called
DEFAULT_UPDATE_INTERVAL which will serve as the value of the following
when they are not explicitly set in a config file:
     UPDATE_INTERVAL
     NEGOTIATOR_UPDATE_INTERVAL
     SCHEDD_INTERVAL
     MASTER_UPDATE_INTERVAL
     CKPT_SERVER_INTERVAL
     DEFRAG_UPDATE_INTERVAL
     HAD_UPDATE_INTERVAL

While there are certainly cases where setting these individually make
sense, it would be nice to be able to change them with a single edit
since they all have the same default.

An alternate idea would be to deprecate all of those in favor of
simply using UPDATE_INTERVAL (or CLASSAD_UPDATE_INTERVAL to make it
more clear that it's a new setting) and then individual daemons can be
changed with, e.g., STARTD.UPDATE_INTERVAL. That could be a pretty
significant change for people, so it's probably not worth the effort.

Thanks,
BC

--
Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing   Department of Computer Sciences