[HTCondor-devel] p-slots and preemption

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:28:34 -0500
From: Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-devel] p-slots and preemption
Hi,

We recently tried to enable preemption on our local cluster - and, well, not much happened.

We were trying to preempt opportunistic jobs - 1.9GB RAM, 1 core requested apiece - with CMS jobs - 2.5GB RAM, 1 core.  Unfortunately, we use p-slots.  That means each opportunistic job runs in a slot which is precisely 1.9GB of RAM, too small for CMS jobs to match.

CMS jobs don't match, meaning they can't preempt, meaning the high priority folks starve in line after the low-priority folks.

I can't think of any particular way to "simply" fix this.

Thoughts?  How would this work with eje's consumption branch?

Brian