Re: [HTCondor-devel] Remote IO in vanilla universe

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:27:26 -0600 (CST)
From: Todd L Miller <tlmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Remote IO in vanilla universe
I've always wanted to turn the std universe libraries into a straight C-based
implementation that turned remote I/O into a Chirp call over a pipe to a
process on the local machine, which would be responsible for actually
carrying out the I/O. That way, all of the Condor I/O code wouldn't have to
be loaded into the address space of the user job, nor would there be any
nastiness with C++ exceptions and runtime libraries, which would make the
build way simpler too.

Is Chirp (and the chirp library) stateless? My impression was that one of the reasons we kept the I/O code in-process was that we then didn't have to worry about checkpointing its state separately.

- Todd