Re: [HTCondor-devel] Remote IO in vanilla universe

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:20:55 -0600
From: Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Remote IO in vanilla universe
Correct.  So, this will not be useful in the context of glideins.*

However, the "HTCondor-as-a-batch-system" case would be able to take advantage of this, and this would certainly be useful there.  Considering the state of the HTCondor chirp client library (little-to-no error recovery), I don't think it'd be a good fit for glideins right now anyway.  Even with client improvements, it's unlikely someone will want to scale up very widely with remote IO back to the submitter.  For small workflows where you don't control the application (think Galaxy, which requires a shared filesystem), it's pretty danged handy.

Brian

* This and several other root-only HTCondor features are feasible as non-root in Linux 3.8.  It'll take awhile for that kernel version to propagate to sites and it will take awhile to adopt to its new interfaces.