[HTCondor-devel] cpu affinity and partitionable slots

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:49:52 -0600
From: Dan Bradley <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-devel] cpu affinity and partitionable slots
Hi all

I was thinking about the lack of support in Condor for setting cpu affinity with partitionable slots in a useful way. We do this on our non-partitionable slots to avoid the inevitable accidents where jobs try to use the whole machine from a single-core slot. We'd like to be able to do it on the partitionable slots.

My first question is whether cpu shares in cgroups make the above use-case of cpu affinity obsolete.

If not, then it would be really nice to have cpu affinity working in the partitionable slot world. The problem is that all dynamic slots under a single partitionable slot get assigned to the same set of cpus. It seems to me that the startd needs to manage the partitioning of the cpu set when it creates the dynamic slots.

Are there plans for generic support for this sort of non-fungible resource partitioning? Implementing this specific case does not sound very hard, as long as we (at least initially) just use a first-fit strategy and do not worry about optimizing which cores go best together in case of multi-core jobs. I think it could even be done without adding any new configuration knobs (gasp).

Thoughts?

--Dan