Re: [Condor-devel] Proposed changes to tarball and native package names

On Jan 12, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Scot Kronenfeld wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 9, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Scot Kronenfeld wrote:
>>
>>> Brian,
>>> We've tossed out the idea of including the git hash in the file names, but:
>>> a) it's not monotonically increasing, so it can't be used as the
>>> version.  You worked around that by also including the build number.
>>> b) we worried it is too long - at least without trimming.  I assume
>>> you don't want to see an RPM named:
>>> condor-7.7.5-0.b24406.6c8f0737e62a145b3ed074d48ace82996beecaa0.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
>>>

>> Oh yeah, you definitely need the trimmed hash.
>>
>>> I'm ok with the development versions having a trimmed hash if you
>>> would find it useful.
>>>

>> I think having build + hash will be very convenient for pre-release versions - it'll be monotonically increasing (making NMI happy) and refer to a specific place in the source code (making devs happy).
>>
>> Still - for (non-daily) tagged builds, we should drop any extensions and just do "condor-7.7.5".  Adding the build number in release would just be confusing for external folks.
>
> This would require a process change on our part to issue a final
> condor-.7.7.5 RPM (with no build tag, etc) in order to not have the
> same problems that is driving this change.  We'll discuss it more in
> the FW meeting on Monday.

I'm not sure what the problems are, but I think it'd be pretty distracting to the user to add in a piece of meaningless information (in the user's perspective).

Why can't you have:

condor-<version>-0.b.<build #>

for all the pre-releases, then

condor-<version>-1

for the final release (and you can detect the final tag by seeing if the git hash is equal to a tag)?  You still have a monotonically increasing packages up to the release.

Brian