Re: [Condor-devel] Proposed changes to tarball and native package names

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Alan De Smet <adesmet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Scot Kronenfeld <kronenfe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am planning to rename the tarballs and native packages that we
>> distribute.  Here is the proposed name format:
>>
>> condor-<X.Y.Z>-1.b<NMI Build ID>.<extension>
>
> You're just proposing adding the "b24243", correct?

Yep - sorry for not being more clear.  The goal of putting the build
ID into the file name is to distinguish between pre-releases and
release candidates that we hand out to NMI, CHTC, and other
collaborators.

> Will putting the build number after the package revision confuse
> the packaging systems?

I've been told by our local experts in RPM and Deb (Mat and Tim
respectively) that this change will be ok and will also do comparisons
correctly.

>>  condor-7.7.5-b24243.tar.gz  (we will remove the 1. for tarballs.
>
> Where does the Arch/OS/strippedness go? After the version number?
> condor-7.7.5-b24243-x86_64_macos_10.5-updated-unstripped.tar.gz
>
>>  condor-7.7.5-b24243.tar.gz  (we will remove the 1. for tarballs.
>> It's a native package revision number that isn't useful for tarballs)
>
> If we're going to be changing the scheme, I'm tempted to include
> the -1 in the tarballs, for consistency.  :-)

I considered this - and I'm ok going either way.  Consistency is nice.

> The download system will be to be updated to learn about the new
> format.  Not a big deal, just something we need to remember to
> do.

*sigh* yeah...I know