Re: [Condor-devel] sorting of groups in negotiation cycle

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 11:59 -0500, Dan Bradley wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> It used to be the case that groups were sorted by the fraction of their
> quota that they were using.  Those starving the most were considered
> first.  I don't spot anywhere in the code where it is now sorting in
> this way.  Am I overlooking something?  Or has this intentionally changed?

Hi Dan,

It wasn't intentional -- restoring some kind of sorting order fell
through the cracks during the overhaul to implement HGQ.   This is also
related to Brian Bockleman's requests in our other thread.

My preferred solution to this would be to re-factor the interaction of
HGQ with computation of submitter limits, so that negotiateWithGroup
loops over *all* submitters at once, across all groups, but the
computation of submitter limits is altered so that it always takes group
quotas into account.  This will allow all submitters to negotiate in
priority order (which I assume is what happened back in deep fossil time
prior to accounting groups), but group quota limits will still be
respected.

However, if we have users who would like a faster solution, I think it
would be a quicker and safer fix to restore some sorting at the group
level.  Fraction of quota used seems like a win for preventing group
starvation, although I don't think it would address the CMS use case.