From: condor-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Hope
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:37 PM
To: 'Matthew Farrellee'
Cc: condor-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Condor-devel] Condor as a vm scheduler

Unfortunately that will not work well from an initially empty state on SMP machines.
This is increasingly a problem with how the scheduler works (and the solutions can have a significant throughput impact as the dynamic partitioning on hefty boxes like Mag Gam's show)

Personally I think this is something that needs some serious thought and attention in the design of the scheduler.

How this works in a general sense is hard I know certain attributes can be updated on the fly, others (like LoadAvg) cannot but perhaps that means that those values which will prevent high throughput negotiation with consistent state should be marked as such and avoided (or if it's easier mark the ones that can be maintained).

If we moved to a dynamic model I may well decide to just use job hooks if they are stable enough and entirely bypass the scheduler since I can then control the performance characteristics and make use of internally calculated state rather than relying on state in the collector to 'catch up' with state that should be available (since it was decided just a moment ago in the same process).

Matt