Re: [Condor-devel] Condor as a vm scheduler

On 01/12/2010 02:15 AM, Stanislav Ievlev wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> With vm universe I can use Condor as a scheduler for virtual machines.
>
> Does the condor use a one generic scheduling algorithm for all types
> of universe?
>
> For example, OpenNebula's scheduler try to pack the VMs in the cluster
> nodes to reduce VM fragmentation
> http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rel1.4:schg).
>
> Can I have a same functionality with a Condor?
>
> --
> With best regards
> Stanislav Ievlev.

Condor's scheduling algorithm is flexible enough to enable things like packing, without having to swap out the algorithm itself.

For instance, packing is just a preference to match against machines that already have running VMs. In Condor, you can do this with the RANK expressions.

http://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=HowToSteerJobs

Best,

matt