Re: [Condor-devel] Patch for condor.init on Ubuntu

On Monday 17 November 2008, Matthew Farrellee wrote:
> Does this only work on Ubuntu systems? The condor.init file is intended
> to work on LSB systems, though it hasn't been testing on all.

I suspect it would work for Debian systems as well. I don't have access to
VMWare (our CS department took it away from people!), so if you want to fire
something up and check it out, be my guest. All of the functions that I use
are also in our department's custom Debian distro).

I was going to try it out on a PlanetLab node (which runs Fedora 8), but
bringing in redhat-lsb was way too much just for an init script.

> Typically /var/run and /var/lock are not generally writable, and the
> condor_master drops privs before writing its pidfile, so making
> pidfile=/var/run/$prog.pid won't work.  start_daemon does not create pid
> files, it just queries them. You need to tell condor_master to create the
> file, which is what led to your "Hack for Debian"

Ah that would explain it. The documentation for this LSB stuff is a bit dicey.

> Is log_action_msg in LSB?

I believe so.
--
Andy Pavlo