Re: [Condor-devel] SCHEDD_NAME

On Mar 12, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Greg Thain wrote:
A couple of folks have asked about SCHEDD_NAME in light of schedd
failover.  I (and Todd) thought that they way it was supposed to work
was that you'd set SCHEDD_NAME explicitly in both the active and backup
schedd to the same value.  However, it looks this doesn't work, the
schedd always replaces the string after the "@" with the fqdn.

Is there any wisdom on why this is?

All I can remember is that back in the dark ages, when we were first messing around with "personal condors" and trying to make things work- able, we found that people were regularly confused and ran into trouble if everything after the @ wasn't a fqdn.

Furthermore, there is logic in The Tool(tm) that resolves hostnames in the command-line args to be able to locate the daemon you're trying to talk to. Actually, the logic is probably in the Daemon object itself. So, if you say:

"condor_reschedule wright@tonic"

the tool knows enough to find the right schedd. That depends on it really being a fqdn...

I won't claim these are Good Reasons(tm), but that's what I remember about why it's like this.

So, any change to the schedd (or master, startd, etc) that changes how the FOO_NAME is set could potentially have implications for the command-line tools or other code using Daemon objects.

Cheers,
-Derek