Re: [Condor-devel] Build System Change Requests

Hi Andy,

There has been talk here about having somebody optimize the build process so that it does not require so much disk space. NMI builds these days end up using about 18GB at their peak!

My reading of the makefile comes up with this:

all_tarballs: strip.tar unstrip.tar static.tar debugsyms.tar

public: release all_tarballs

So if all you want is strip.tar, maybe you should replace 'make public' with 'make strip.tar'.

As for directly printing the output from the building of externals, I don't see an option to do that currently, but all building of externals happens in externals/build_external, which takes a --log argument. I tried passing /dev/stdout to that, and it mostly worked, but the script runs tail on the log file if the build fails, and then it gets hung up reading from /dev/stdout.

--Dan

Andy Pavlo wrote:
Greetings!

I am curious about getting two things changed in the Condor build scripts. These are in response to the problems that the FreeBSD build system is having. I think that it would be good to make the changes at our end, because this will allow Condor to be smoke tested on many different *BSD platforms, including NetBSD and OpenBSD, using their system.

First, the build process takes up too much space. I am using "make public" in order to get a release.tar that I can pass to condor_configure. Is there an easier (and ultimately a faster) way to get the stripped binaries without making so many different tarballs?

Here's the error that keeps occurring:

http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-errorlogs/e.6.2008030520/condor-7.0.0.log

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from them about how much space is allocated for a build. But it looks like we get pretty far before it dies.

Second, their build system times out when the Condor build doesn't produce any output for an extended period of time. I think it occurred during the Globus build, which writes to log file. It would be nice if there was a flag to provide to the build scripts so that it always printed everything to STDOUT.

That's all for now!