Re: [Condor-devel] cost of DC timers we don't need?

Derek Wright wrote:
part of my starter hacking involves moving the periodic update logic higher up in the JIC class hierarchy, since any starter might define HOOK_UPDATE_JOB_INFO. currently, the code is a little dumb, in that it always registers the timer, and the timer handler itself invokes a method to do the update (which decides if there's a hook to invoke or not). this is because the JICShadow *always* wants the timer (for the shadow RSC), but it's the base class that's now managing the timer (so it can be shared).

do we care about a DC timer going off that doesn't do anything in the case of non-shadow starters that don't define this hook?

i could add another JIC method like "needsPeriodicUpdate()", which JICShadow always returns true, and the others just use the base class's version which checks to see if there's a periodic hook defined.

is it worth the trouble?

thanks,
-d

probably not, unless the timer is going off real often (which i guess is not the case above).

the only cost of a timer firing in an otherwise idle dc process is : (a) crap written into the starterlog depending upon logging level, and (b) it may prevent the starter from being more fully swapped out by the OS. no big deal imho.

--
Todd Tannenbaum                       University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences