Re: [Condor-devel] Is it possible to change the log file for a running job?

On Aug 18, 2008, at 3:56 PM, João Abecasis wrote:
Curious comment: what do you do if the SAGA application exits
abnormally?  is the log file ever cleaned up?

Ha, ha! SAGA applications don't exit abnormally... :-p

Seriously, it depends on how abnormal the interruption is. Anyway,
leaving a temporary log behind in case of a fatal error doesn't sound
as bad, but accumulating them in the course of normal operation is
another matter.

I would claim that failures are normal operation. In a distributed system, there are frequently causes of error.

What if I submit 10,000 jobs and leave for vacation, hoping for the results when I return, but they all exit abnormally? What if I don't understand the reasonable limits of the system and I submit 10 million jobs?

In Open Science Grid, these sorts of clean up issues are day-to-day problems for system administrators, who struggle with them.

-alain