Re: [Condor-devel] Avoiding redundant executables in the SPOOL

Keeping a single executable whose name is the hash was the
original plan.  It reduced unnecessary inodes and will work on
Windows.  However, it would necessitate updating usage of the
filename throughout Condor.  This adds work and a bit of risk, so
I discarded the idea.

I also discarded the general idea of keeping the information
"elsewhere," which having a hash named file in addition to the
ickpts does.  After all, we have a perfectly good schedd which
stores information in a simple journaled database.

I didn't think about approaching it as a two step solution as Dan
proposes, and I find it a compelling idea.  There is a bit more
complexity for step 1, but it's not much.  Then we can move to
step 2 with Windows support much more easily should we later
decide we need the functionality.  I'm going to think on it some
more, but I'll probably soon put together a revised plan based on
Dan's step 1 along with some other thoughts that have been
suggested.

--
Alan De Smet                              Condor Project Research
adesmet@xxxxxxxxxxx                http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/