[Condor-devel] Condor CVS repository off line all weekend

Sorry for the late notice -- we discussed this in the staff meeting early this week but I forgot to send out something to the wider pool of people who might be affected...

WHAT/WHEN:

Unless there's a major objection today, around 7pm CDT tonight I'm going to start locking down the Condor CVS repository. No commits, build tags, etc, will be allowed until sometime later this weekend or Monday morning. If I can do so safely, I'll try to keep read-only access available, but don't count on it.

WHY:

Our repository is straining under the weight of having about 3600 build tags in it we no longer need. As you may know, CVS tag operations in our repository are deathly slow now, and other operations are very slow as well. Because of how CVS handles tags, these stale tags make the entire size of the repo much larger, such that things no longer fit in AFS caches, etc, etc. To remove these tags efficiently, we need to move the repository to a local disk, where we can remove them all without AFS. So, I'm going to freeze the repo in AFS, make a copy on a local disk (actually an NMI machine with a ton of RAM so we can do it all in an in-RAM file system), remove the tags, and then move everything back to AFS. Based on our tests, this should only [sic] take about 20 hours. If we did it in AFS, it might take as much as 540 hours (22.5 days)!

If there's an urgent need for the CVS repository this weekend, please speak up ASAP.

Thanks,
-Derek

p.s. I'll send out other notes when the repository is actually locked down, and when it's back online again.