Re: [Condor-devel] file tranfer type

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:18:14PM -0600, Jiansheng Huang wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Peter Keller wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:02:49PM -0600, Jiansheng Huang wrote:
> > > I work on the new version of quill (quillpp as we call it). After the
> > > schema meeting with Todd and Greg, we decided to add a column to the
> > > transfers table to record the transfer type. But I am not sure what data
> > > type is the best to use for the column? a string or a number? Would anyone
> > > with expertise on file transfering throw in some suggestions here?
> >
> > What kind of information is the type representing? Direction of transfer?
>
> Todd said it was for distinguishing between normal transfer from the ones
> like x.509 delegation. I am not exactly sure.

I suppose it all comes down to: who is going to be dealing with that
field on a routine basis? If it is a human, then a string identifying the
type of transfer is probably correct because typos have little/no effect
during day to day operations, if it is programatically looked at, then
probably some type of enum value is better to cut down on the code needed
to deal with the field when processing it and simplify its correctness
checking.

-pete