Re: [Condor-devel] makefile ordering changes - suggestions?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 06:23:06PM -0500, Matthew Farrellee wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Erik Paulson wrote:
>
> >Yo
> >
> >I'm adding some support to quill++ to make SOAP calls to other quill
> >++ daemons,
> >which means that the gen_soapfile rules all need to fire before any of
> >the .C files are compiled (because gSOAP generates the header files/
> >prototypes
> >I need to call).
>
> Why is that?

We are experimenting with different backends for Quill++ and what
the interface should look like - the database client libraries all
suck. We may talk JDBC to the database, and SOAP to the JDBC service.
Internally Quill++ already does a big dispatch of different calls - one
of our interface ideas is to expose each one of these as SOAP methods.
This way we can prototype a server side, work out the client side bugs, and
later switch to a Java server to support more than one database.

Basically, we need to generate the equivlant of the senders and recievers
file.

> >Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was thinking of just adding a
> >dependancy
> >to 'soapfiles' to the .C.o rule in Imake.rules, but I'm worried
> >about what
> >that will do to directories that don't need any soapfiles.
>
> If you make soap_daemonStub.C be the first file to be compiled (first
> in the obj list?) then gen_soapfiles should be the first thing that
> happens in a directory.
>
> Basically, if you want the soap stuff to happen first just put it at
> the beginning of dependencies for your daemon?

'make -j' means that you can't count on order, you need to make the
dependencies explicit.

-Erik